Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Cairo's Curfew


This is real. The city has a curfew.
7pm.
In a city where the average person doesn't leave the house until 6pm, you can imagine how paralyzing a 7pm curfew can be.

Since the fatal attacks and exchanges began last week, this curfew was issued, and I, along with the rest of the country, had to adjust my routine based on the limited time I now have to get things done. Work was generous enough to let us out an hour early now, and I hope you can sense the sarcasm in this bit. Because getting out at 4pm and getting home around 5pm, just about the time that all stores and shops close because their employees need to get home before curfew too, is useless. Especially when your biggest client is in Qatar, and you don't want to give the illusion that the news headlines may actually affect business. We stay until 5 most days to make our deadlines just to give the rich Qataris the illusion that Egypt is fine. Don't worry, we are not going to have any delays in designing your multi million dollar mansion. We understand how vital it is to your wellbeing.

So everyday is a bust. I haven't been the gym in nearly 2 weeks, I barely have time to run errands, and I don't have my (one) luxury of calling the supermarket or restaurants for delivery at night, because guess what, they're closed. I have used up every grocery that was either canned or frozen. I can't even spend time with my fiancé, because he is also working, and then needs to make a 2 hour traffic-ridden journey home before curfew. Then add to all of this, the fact that I don't have internet or TV in my apartment. I am going out of my mind. I watched every movie ever downloaded onto my hard drive. I am too bored to even find something creative to do.

I just turned 30 years old and I couldn't wait for my birthday. I couldn't wait to be 30. But my birthday and pretty much every day since have been a huge let down. Is this what it feels like to be 30?

The last time I had a curfew, I was a teenager.

I am 30 years old and I am not allowed out after dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment