Wednesday, November 14, 2012

my new passport, my new relationship


my most prized possession, as i've said countless times, is my old passport. i love it. it means the world to me, no pun intended.

my significant relationship with my old passport has been the longest running in my entire life. we've been together for nearly 10 years. and like most relationships, i maximized all that i could benefit from it. it fulfilled me tremendously, and saw me through some exciting times. together, we traveled to all the inhabited continents around the world; we've seen just about 20 countries together, spoken 5 languages, checked-in on many flights, and flown many, many miles.



but sadly, sometimes relationships run their course. sometimes, after being in a relationship for 10 years, one of you changes. a man may get fat, or go bald; a woman may get fat, or get fat. sometimes you fill up all the pages in the book of your relationship, and there isn't any more room to grow together.



and that's when you get yourself a new relationship; a new book with which to grow, where the pages are empty and waiting for new stories to be told, new histories to be made.



and thus, i've welcomed my new passport with open arms. the american embassy in cairo completed this passport within 5 business days and for less than what i would have paid at the office in nyc!!

now i have to go through the major hassle of going to the Mugamma, cairo's building for all things paperwork and backwards, to get my visa transfered to this new passport. because technically, i'm not here without a visa; i don't exist. ugh, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment