Monday, December 17, 2012

Homesick for Wool


I never imagined that Cairo would be so cold in the winter. Trust me when I say that I did plenty of research on this when I was packing back in October. I checked the weather websites, I asked my friends and family, I spent a week pre-packing. But, holy freezing!

On the way over here, I had to sacrifice all my winter clothes at the airport. The warmest thing that I brought is my leather jacket, which I have been delaying to wear, because once that isn't warm enough, I'm screwed. The plan was that my parents would mail the rest of my clothes over to me, since the cost of shipping and the import tax would still be cheaper than buying 1 sweater at any of the stores at the mall. (I've discussed previously that the taxes here have caused clothes to cost about 3x what we'd pay for them back home.) Except.....they never really got around to doing that.

So now here we are approaching Christmas, and although there may not be any snow here, it is still cold enough to make me feel at home. Despite the temperature being in the mid 60s during the day and the 50s at night, the cool, dry air makes it feel much colder. Layering no longer cuts it.

So I finally went to the mall over the weekend to find some sweaters. I was determined to stick within my uber tight budget, and successfully purchased 2 sweaters, in addition to the knock-off sweatshirt I bought last weekend to wear at home. I was so excited to wear one of them to work yesterday underneath my wool blazer, but I was a little worried that I'd be overdoing it, and that I'd get overheated in class. Not even a worry. I was cold and shivering all damn day long.

All I have to say is that these sweaters are going to get a work out and give me a run for my money. And I'm about to run around Cairo looking like a homeless person, wearing every layer of warm clothing that I brought.

If only some friends could come visit and bring along my beloved winter wardrobe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment