Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Nutcracker Ballet at the Cairo Opera House


So pretty much since I arrived, I'd been talking about wanting to go to see a performance at the Cairo Opera House. The fact that people still dress up for the Opera here is enough of a reason for me, but in addition to that, the tickets are pretty cheap, and that is encouraging.

After spending the week at the Opera House's grounds for the Cairo International Film Festival, I was determined to return! There are operas, ballets, orchestras, dance performances, etc., happening all year round. But when I learned that there would be the Nutcracker ballet, I immediately purchased tickets to go. Who doesn't love Tchaikovsky or the Nutcracker?

It was great. We got dressed up, we had fantastic seats for 75 LE, or $12, and the orchestra was outstanding. The dancers however, were a mix of mediocrity. While most dancers were Egyptian, and the best of all of them being the Egyptian male lead, the female leads were Eastern European, and let's face it: if they were great, they'd be dancing in Europe. I have to admit that I did feel a little disappointment in the fact that like most things in Egypt, the performances, costumes, and set were all just average. But then again, this isn't Paris or the New York Ballet, I kind-of knew to expect that. Although, I was shocked that they didn't even give a nutcracker toy to Clara; she received a doll instead. The Nutcracker didn't even have a nutcracker!! I can bet that they probably thought, 'ehh, just use this doll with a red coat, that's good enough.'

Even at the Opera House, theatre goers never knew when to shut the hell up, and several people were chatting, yawning, or worse, a 10-ish year old child was snoring his way through the second act. It was distracting and annoying, especially when loads of expat kids were there on their best behavior.

But really, despite all my criticisms, we really did have a fantastic time and I'm so happy that we went. As I mentioned, the orchestra was excellent, so the music alone made the experience well worth it. I appreciated that so many (not just Christian) families came to see the Nutcracker, and that so many men were wearing suits and ties. The fact that so many people value culture and the arts is always impressive wherever you are. The whole evening was one of the best experiences I've had in Cairo yet.

I can't wait to return! I already have my eye on several upcoming opportunities to get dressed up, I mean, see some more performances at the Opera House. And Swan Lake is coming soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment