Monday, January 28, 2013

A new outlook in this new year...


I received a concerned email from a former coworker about my lack of updates, so apologies to anyone who was alarmed. The current climate has been tense, violent, and stupid here in Cairo. But once again, it's not the whole city; it's concentrated in certain areas. I've been completely avoiding downtown and the nearby areas, but I have been reading from friends on facebook that the use of tear gas is out of control. Not to mention, there have been several fatalities and injuries, which is just sad.

For those who may not read or watch the news, things have been tense here for several reasons. 1) January 25th was the anniversary of the revolution in 2011 that toppled Mubarak. Not only was this day expecting protests, but add to that the fact that it landed on a Friday this year (like Saturday in the west), so plenty of people had heading to Tahrir on their list of things to do that day. People aren't exactly happy with the outcome of the revolution, Morsi, and the general political climate. 2) The courts were ruling on the cases for the Ahly Ultras (soccer fans) who were massacred at the Port Said stadium last year. Ultras have been protesting all week, and actually stopped the metro by descending and sitting on the tracks in metro stations. 3) Harassment is as high as it's ever been in Tahrir. 4) Finally, last week there was yet another train accident causing injuries and fatalities.

In spite of all this, don't worry about me because I have nothing to do with any of this. I'm sick of all the drama and I'm avoiding all protests and political activity. I appreciate that citizens go out and protest, but their efforts are disorganized and thereby ineffective. And since I'm not a journalist, there's no thrill for me to participate. The President couldn't care less about his people or the fact that there are fatalities happening as a result of him and his regime, all the damn time. So in my opinion, it's just a lot of disorganized stupidity. The President doesn't give a shit about Egypt, and Egyptians are unable to do anything about it.

I have had a lot on my mind and agenda lately, hence the lack of posts. It turns out that what was once intended as a transitionary, temporary home is now looking to become something else. I am trying to figure out a semi-long term plan to stay in Cairo. It right now is fulfilling me in every way that I was needing fulfillment back at home. And with my impending return in April, I have already decided that I will be coming right back in May after my friend's wedding. My mindset has been changing from the, I'm on vacation, relaxing and enjoying myself mode, to the I'm really happy here and I'm going to test this out for a while mode.

So my #1 priority is finding a way to stay... sustainably. What that means is, I need a real job. I have been missing being a professional lately. That may have a lot to do with being surrounded with both Expat and Egyptian professional friends. They have their careers, their jobs, their income. Can we highlight income? I am missing my income; a real one.

But teaching was never a career path for me, and while it's been different and interesting, it's no longer fun- which I will get into in another post. So I've been sending out my resume and interviewing. Please send positive vibes in return!

Once I figure out the job situation, I'll book my return flight to Cairo. Looks like I'll be a while, NYC.

1 comment: